Sunday, July 28, 2013

Skincare Basics Part 1: Nighttime Rituals

Want to know something completely embarrassing? I never used to wash my face before I went to sleep.  I KNOW.  Skincare suicide. It's completely awful to not care for your skin before hitting the sack.

After I started to read up on the importance of taking care of your skin both day and night, I turned myself around and implemented a fierce nighttime routine.  Since I began this routine, my skin has taken a turn for the (much, much) better.  Typically, I do not count out any product, but, I think I have found a miracle product.  Keep reading!

Routine:

1.  First, I wash my face.  I wear a decent amount of makeup so this takes 2-3 washes (especially for mascara-what a pain!).  I prefer to use a cream cleanser for this reason.  I have the occasional breakout, but nothing too serious so I stick with a long time favorite, Neutrogena's Oil-Free Acne Wash, Pink Grapefruit Cream Cleanser. Loveeeee the scent!  This seems to cut through my makeup nicely, fight my few breakouts, and isn't too harsh.

2. Tone!  Per the dermatologist on Dr. Oz-regular old Witch Hazel is the best toner you can use.  I took his advice and completely agree.  Keeps my pores small and clean :D.  Apply with a cotton ball especially to the areas where your pores are more noticeable (nose!).  Wait a few minutes after use.

3. COCONUT OIL. This is it people, THE MIRACLE WORKER.  I cannot explain to you what this product has done for my skin.  When I wake up in the morning my skin looks fresh, even, glowing, and my fine lines-barely visible.  I only use the oil on my forehead, around my eyes, and on my neck/chest.  Why? These are not acne-prone areas for me, and I don't have many fine lines/wrinkles in other areas on my face.  If they sensitive areas for you, just try it out and see how your skin reacts.  It shouldn't be too bad considering this is all natural.  Which brings me to my next point-one must use virgin, organic coconut oil-we don't want any extra bad stuff in there that will take away from all the good stuff ;).  I like Trader Joe's Virgin Organic Coconut Oil.  The coconut oil starts off as a solid, but melts quickly on your fingers.  You don't need much! At only $6-10/ bottle you cannot beat this bang for the buck!!!

4. Get the blood flowing!  Facial massage is a technique many people in Hollywood rave about.  Coming from a healthcare background, it makes sense to me.  It helps the blood circulation, relaxes the muscles and expression lines, and makes your skin come alive.   I utilize these techniques while applying my coconut oil to increase the product's effectiveness and get the benefits of the massage-double whammy.  Skincare experts say skip the botox-get to massaging! here is an article from the Wall Street Journal! http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323501004578388950896385688.html

Remember, it is important to allow 2-3 weeks for your skin to adjust to a new skincare routine before freaking out about your skin reacting to it.  The best thing you can do it be consistent.  Don't skip a night and don't change products frequently.  Just like change stresses us out, it will stress your skin out too!

beautiful.sophia

https://twitter.com/sophiabeautblog









No comments:

Post a Comment